If you are modding a Jeep Wrangler JL, you likely realized that the JL turn signal is mounted in the fender. This can pose an issue if you want to upgrade your fender, want to use an aftermarket fender option, or need to trim them to accommodate larger wheels and tires. Because of this, you may be looking for a solution to move the JL turn signal off the fender in order to achieve the desired look.
The solution for moving the JL turn signal
ORACLE Lighting offers some universal aftermarket LED products that can provide multiple solutions for this application. However, we went on the hunt for one way to recommend doing this that fit three criteria that are important to Jeep owners wanting to move their JL turn signal from the fender.
- It needs to be easy to install but look great. No one wants to see any sort of exposed hardware so all the mounting hardware needs be on the back side of the module.
- It needs to be affordable. Jeep modding is expensive, and relocating a JL turn signal doesn't need to be. Everyone wants to spend the least amount of money but still have a pleasing solution that is durable for regular use.
- It needs to be in a place where the relocated JL turn signal going to be visible and still be more functional and brighter than the factory turn signal.
If these fit what you are looking for, you're in luck! In this blog, we are going to cover one easy, seamless LED option to relocate a JL turn signal for about $20.
How to relocate the JL fender turn signal
In order to do this DIY install, you'll only need a few items and a few minutes. One of the best places to move your JL turn signal is to the front grill since it is visible to other drivers and looks intentionally placed.
We are going to use our Single Color Rock Light Kit, and we recommend choosing the amber pair for the perfect turn signal color (5410-005.) These units are 3-watts with high-intensity LEDs in a stud-style screw design. Usually used to illuminate the underbody of a vehicle, they are resin-injected to make them weatherproof for rugged use on any terrain.
Another item you may need is our LED Load Equalizer 50W/ 6ohm ORACLE to solve any rapid flashing issues. If you'd like to use these as a marker light too, you'll use our Dual Intensity Circuits that gives you two intensity levels so you have a half-intensity as a marker light and a full intensity as a turn signal.
Now, let's get into how to move the JL fender turn signal to the grill!
1. First, mark out where on each side of the grill you would like to drill for the new signals. We chose to install ours in the open space under the headlights, but you can place it wherever you like. Be sure that there's no other auxiliary lights or other parts in the way that may block the turn signal.
2. Drill a 3/8 inch hole where you marked the spots in order to mount the LED module.
3. With one of the LED modules, remove the nut on the back and fish the wire through the hole. Slide the light into place, and then re-attach the nut on the backside to lock it in place with a 14-millimeter wrench.
4. Repeat these steps on the other side.
5. Tap the wires into your factory turn signals, adding the load equalizers and/or dual-intensity circuits as you wish. (NOTE: If you are eliminating the original fender lights, then you will need add a load equalizer for turn signals only or use a programmer to switch the factory option to LED. If you are connecting to parking lights, you would tap power to the parking light lead and the shared ground. If you are connecting to the turn signal, tap the turn signal lead and shared ground.)
Watch the video below to see the process of moving the JL fender turn signal in action:
Ready to move your JL turn signal?
With ORACLE Lighting, this is an easy, inexpensive DIY project so you can customize your Jeep Wrangler JL without losing the forward-facing turn signal functional that keeps you and other drivers safe.
ORACLE Lighting is a world-renowned automotive lighting company with custom LED lighting solutions for your car, truck, or Jeep. We are dedicated to providing you with the highest quality and most innovative lighting products.
If you're ready to DIY this seamless LED mod, shop online today or give us a call with any questions at 1-800-407-5776.